We have noticed that many people in the current situation are suffering from one or other kinds of sexual problems, especially males. Some common ones are erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation, lower libido, etc. According to the stats, most of these issues happen in a person’s body because of their habits and psychological issues. But a few issues also happen because of underlying medical issues.
In this blog, we will be discussing the details of those issues, how to treat them, and whether there is any way through which we can prevent these issues.
Erectile dysfunction is a very common issue in which a person has difficulty achieving or maintaining an erection firm enough for sexual intercourse. The issue leads to problems in sexual life and gives rise to sexual dissatisfaction. There can be various reasons for erectile dysfunction, like bad lifestyle, heart issues, low testosterone, etc.
You can opt for the following treatment options in case of erectile dysfunction-
- You can consume PDE type five inhibitor class action medicines like Sildenafil citrate, Tadalafil, Avanafil, and Vardenafil. These are FDA-approved prescription-based medicines that help in improving your sexual life.
- You can also opt for penile pumps, a natural way to get and hold an erection for longer. It has a hollow tube that sucks the blood in the penis, and you can use a friction ring to hold the erection.
- You can also opt for surgery and get silicone implants at the sides of your penis. You can use them to gain an erection whenever you want.
- You can also opt for improving your lifestyle, which resolves the cause of the issue. This might take some time to show results, but they will stay permanent in your body.
Premature ejaculation is a situation in which you don’t last long when you are having intercourse. The issue worsens with time in a person’s body; in some serious cases, a person only lasts seconds while having intercourse.
Treatment techniques you can opt for in this case are-
- You can try masturbating an hour before you want to have sex. Many people notice that this behavioral change helps them last longer during intercourse. You can also avoid intercourse for some periods.
- You can participate in exercises that help strengthen your pelvic floor muscles. A strong pelvis can help you last longer when you are having intercourse. You can perform this exercise 3-4 times daily and notice results within a month.
- You can also adopt a pause and squeeze technique. You should pause your intercourse when you are about to ejaculate and squeeze your penis. It helps you continue your intercourse.
- You can also depend on medicines like numbing agents and antidepressants like SSRIs to last long when having intercourse. Before using any medicine, you must contact your physician.
Low libido is a situation in which a male does not feel a sex drive or interest in sexual activities. This loss of interest can happen in a male body for various reasons like low testosterone, bad relationships, past experiences, alcohol, sleep problems, etc.
If you want to treat this issue, here are a few options you have-
- You should focus on improving your relationship and open up with your partner if you have any issues.
- You should make better lifestyle choices and switch to a healthy one to improve your situation.
- Exercise and controlling your weight can also help you in increasing your libido.
- You can also use natural herbs like maca, tribulus, ginkgo, ginseng, etc., to increase your libido.
- Testosterone therapy is also an option available in case of low testosterone levels.
- You can also take help from medicines like PDE type 5 inhibitors.
Delayed ejaculation is a condition in which a man takes an unusually long time to reach orgasm and ejaculate, or may not be able to ejaculate at all, despite having a normal erection and sexual stimulation. Most people don’t find this issue a problem, but when it starts causing pain, you should visit your physician.
A few treatment options that you have in this case are-
- If you are taking any medication for delaying ejaculation, then you should decrease the dose.
- You can consume medicines like Amantadine, Buspirone, and Cyproheptadine. Before using any of these medicines, you must consult your physician and get a prescription.
- You also have an option of psychotherapy because sometimes psychological and mental issues can lead to delayed ejaculation. The issue will be treated very easily if it is in its initial stages.
Anorgasmia is a situation in which a person does not get an orgasm at all. In some cases, the intensity of orgasm is very low or infrequent despite full arousal. Due to this, one might notice problems of dissatisfaction.
To treat the issue, you might take the following steps-
- If you are using any medicines like SSRI, then change the dose.
- You should engage in masturbation to trigger your orgasms.
- If you have any sexual trauma or bad experiences, you can opt for counselling.
- If the issue is due to low testosterone, you can opt for hormone therapy.
- You should find new ways and techniques that might trigger your orgasms.
Retrograde ejaculation is a situation in which the semen of a person enters the bladder instead of exiting the body through the penis. People reach climax in their body, but no semen comes out of the body.
Treatment options in case of retrograde ejaculation are-
- You can use medicines like Imipramine, Midodrine, Chlorpheniramine, brompheniramine, and Ephedrine after consulting your physician.
- You can also visit your physician for infertility treatment. It is important when you are looking to conceive your partner.
Priapism is a situation in which you will notice a prolonged erection. In this situation, a person always has a full and partial erection even when they are not sexually stimulated.
You can adopt the following treatment options-
- If the erection is causing major discomfort and pain, you can opt for aspiration decompression. In this situation, the blood is withdrawn from your penis through a syringe.
- You can also use medicines like phenylephrine with the prescription of the physician.
Painful intercourse or Dyspareunia is a situation in which you experience immense pain when you are having intercourse.
If you are noticing this issue, you can opt for the following treatment options-
- You can visit the physician to check if there is any underlying issue behind the Painful Intercourse.
- You can use lubricants to improve your situation.
- You can also try different positions because maybe some kind of position is causing pain.
Arousal disorder, also known as erectile dysfunction or sexual arousal disorder, is a condition where a man has difficulty achieving or maintaining an erection for sexual activity. It can be caused by various factors, including physical, psychological, or lifestyle issues.
Treatment typically involves therapy, medication, and lifestyle changes.
Penile curvature is a situation in which there is a curvature in the penis of a male. The issue happens in the penis of a person because of the formation of fibrous scars. In some cases, the size of curvature is small, which is not painful and not a cause of concern. But if the size of the curvature is large, then you might notice pain during normal penile functions. This situation is also known as Peyronie’s disease.
The symptoms of the issue are the presence of scar tissue which is noncancerous, a bend in the penis, problems in erection, pain, and shortening in the size of the penis.
In this case, you can opt for the following treatment options-
- You can opt for the options of medications to get rid of the issue. A few FDA-approved medicines, in this case, are Collagenase, Verapamil, Interferon, etc. You need to visit the physician first and get a prescription for these medicines.
- You can also opt for traction therapy to decrease the bend and improve length. In this, you have to wear a device on your penis for 30-40 minutes every day. The therapy is successful in the early stages of the issue.
- People can also opt for surgery in which the scar is removed and graft repair of the penis is done. People who have had issues for more than a year and are not getting any benefit from other ways can opt for surgery.
Causes of sexual problems in men
If a person is suffering from any kind of sexual problem discussed above, there can be various reasons behind those issues. We have categorized the issues in the following-
Physical causes /Medical conditions
- If you are suffering from any kind of heart problem, then it can lead to erectile dysfunction in your body.
- People who are suffering from high blood pressure commonly have ED issues.
- Obese people also face issues of erectile dysfunction and are unable to enjoy intercourse properly.
- People who have Parkinson’s or multiple sclerosis might also suffer from heart issues.
- If you have Peyronie’s disease, there are high chances of sexual problems.
- If you are not getting proper sleep or have a sleep disorder, you might face sexual problems.
- People who have enlarged prostate or prostate cancer also face some sexual problems.
- Those who have lower testosterone face a bunch of sexual issues.
- People who clog blood vessels also have a high chance of sexual problems.
- Diabetes and high cholesterol also cause major sexual problems in the body of a person.
- If you have high insulin levels in your body, it can also impact your sexual life.
- If your pelvic area is injured, there is a high chance that you will suffer from sexual problems.
- If you are feeling stress and anxiety in your day-to-day life, it might cause sexual disorders in your body.
- If you are not communicating properly with your partner, then there is a high chance that you will face sexual problems.
- People who are suffering from depression also commonly face major sexual problems in their bodies.
- If you are not consuming a healthy and balanced diet, you will notice an impact on your sexual life.
- People who consume alcohol and cigarettes in uncontrolled amounts commonly suffer from sexual problems.
- If you are living a sedentary lifestyle with zero physical activities, you might face major sexual and other health problems.
- If you are not getting proper and healthy sleep, then you might face sexual problems because of hormonal imbalances in the body.
Tips for preventing sexual problems in Men
We have noticed that most people are suffering from one sort or other sexual problem right now. It mainly happens because of the change in lifestyle of people as compared to people 50 years back. Due to those changes, sexual problems are inevitable, but here are a few tips that you can adopt in order to prevent sexual issues-
- First of all, it is very important that you don’t adopt bad habits in your day-to-day habits. The most important ones are related to food and physical activity. We suggest to everyone that they should take 2 hours daily for two important activities. The first hour is for cooking healthy food for yourself at home. The second hour is for moving your body and performing physical activities. These activities will not just prevent sexual issues but help you eliminate hundreds of other possible issues that commonly happen in the body of a person.
- If you are having an addiction of any sort, like alcohol or smoking, you should give it up slowly. With every passing day, you will notice an improvement in the issues you have been facing.
- In some cases, it is noticed that sexual issues happen in the body because of any underlying problem. You should go visit your physician and discuss your issue with them. If the problem is at initial levels, they will help you get rid of the issue easily, which improves your sexual health automatically.
- Psychological issues also impact your sexual life badly. If you are living a stressed and depressing life, then you will notice that it impacts your blood flow at the initial level with which sexual health is connected. That is why we suggest you visit the therapist and discuss your issue. The sessions they provide will help you get relief from the issue you have been facing.
- If the relationship between you and your partner is not healthy, then there is a high chance that you will face sexual dysfunction issues also. That is why it is important to prioritize your relationship. If you are facing any issues in your relationship, you should try to talk on a personal level first. After that, you can visit a consultant or therapist if needed. In most cases, it is noticed that people who improve their relationships also notice an improvement in their sexual problems.
- National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI). (2021, June 7). Prevalence and predictors of sexual dysfunction in a nationally representative sample of adult men and women in the United States. PubMed.gov. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33856181/
- Hatzimouratidis, K., Amar, E., Eardley, I., Giuliano, F., Hatzichristou, D., Montorsi, F., … & Vardi, Y. (2010). Guidelines on Male Sexual Dysfunction: Erectile Dysfunction and Premature Ejaculation. European Urology, 57(5), 804-814. doi:10.1016/j.eururo.2010.02.020. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29824229/
- Rosen, R. C., & Althof, S. E. (2006). Psychological and Interpersonal Dimensions of Sexual Function and Dysfunction. The Journal of Sexual Medicine, 3(Suppl 4), 472-488. doi:10.1111/j.1743-6109.2006.00344.x.
- Burnett, A. L. (2018). Erectile Dysfunction. American Family Physician, 98(6), 384-391. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29746858/
At Medzpills, it is our mission to provide consumers with the best possible, scientifically-backed, and expert-reviewed information. Parry Stone, an expert in the field has reviewed this article, but we caution you that it should not be treated as a substitute for the advice of a qualified medical professional. It is a source of knowledge, potentially helpful in understanding health conditions, lab tests, medications, side effects, drug interactions, warnings, alerts, and more. To ensure the best experience and outcome, we strongly encourage you to consult with your doctor and discuss any concerns or questions you have about a particular disease or medication. Our services are meant to supplement, not replace, the invaluable relationship between doctor and patient.