We have observed that the degradative action of cGMP is activated in our bodies when under stressful situations. This degradative action which is specifically working upon the cGMP is known as PDE5.
This PDE5 attaches to the smooth muscles and deactivates cGMP due to which the blood vessels start contracting. These blood vessels, called corpora cavernosa, carry blood to and from the penis.
In this situation, the quantity of blood coming to the penis decreases which causes softer erections and premature ejaculation. In the long run, the activation of PDE type 5 gives rise to erectile dysfunction. It is a serious sexual disorder that happens in the body of males.
Now keeping in mind the issues that are happening in the body of the person, consuming a medicine is very important. Because if we neglect the issue for longer then it can lead to sexual dissatisfaction among the couples.
In such situations, consuming the PDE 5 inhibitor medicine is a solution.
We will be discussing the medical details which include the issues with which the medicine helps, different types of PDE5 inhibitors, and many more. So, let’s get started without any further ado.
Issues Resolved By PDE 5 Inhibitor Medicines
A list of issues for which PDE5 inhibitor medicines are helpful is provided below:
Erectile Dysfunction :
Erectile Dysfunction is the main issue for which the medicine first hits the rack. This issue decreases the satisfaction that a person has while having sexual activity and the levels also.
Two major symptoms of erectile dysfunction are premature ejaculation and weak erections. With this medicine help, a person can get temporary relief from these issues. Due to this, they are again able to enjoy their sexual life better than normal.
High Altitude Illness:
In this issue several people start feeling sick as they reach a certain altitude due to a decrease in oxygen levels. When a person takes a pde5 inhibitor in this case, then they are able to fight the altitude sickness better.
The results of testing of PDE 5 inhibitors on canines and mice are very promising. It shows that heart disease improves with the consumption of this medicine which decreases the chances of heart failure.
Diabetic Nephropathy :
Insulin sensitivity improves due to the consumption of PDE-5 inhibitor which in return has improved the situation of diabetic nephropathy.
There is an issue known as oligospermia in which the motility of sperms decreases. Due to this the overall fertility of a male decreases. When such a person consumes the medicine then their sperm motility increases slowly.
Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD):
In this the diameter of the arteries and vessels is reduced due to which the flow of blood to limbs is highly affected. With the help of PDE 5 inhibitors, the diameter of blood vessels can be increased successfully which helps in getting rid of the issue.
Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms (LUTS):
This is an issue that happens in the body due to benign prostatic hyperplasia. When you consume the PDE 5 inhibitors along with Alpha-blockers, then you can see amazing results and improvement in the issue of LUTS.
Penile Rehabilitation after Radical Prostatectomy:
The medicine has a lot of neuro regenerative effects on the nerves that affect the functioning of the penis. That is why consuming the medicine after you have your radical prostatectomy can help you in gaining a happy sexual life back.
Different Types of PDE5 Inhibitors
Different types of FDA-approved PDE5 inhibitors are listed below:
- Sildenafil Citrate – This medicine is sold under the brand name Viagra and is the most effective in the category. The medicine takes half an hour to activate in the body and stays active for 3 to 4 hours.
- Tadalafil – The medicine is sold under the brand name Cialis. The medicine takes one hour to activate the salt and it is known to stay active for 24 hours.
- Vardenafil and Avanafil – Both of these medicines are also available in the market as PDE 5 inhibitor medicine.
How Does a PDE5 Inhibitor Work in the Body?
The working of PDE 5 inhibitor medicine is very simple and has two basic focuses. The first aim of the medicine is to inhibit all the tasks and changes made by PDE in the body.
The second aim is to reverse the changes that are already made by PDE in the body.In the case of erectile dysfunction, the PDE5 inhibitors enter the blood vessels carrying blood to the penis.
After that, it finds PDE and blocks them to carry on any further action in the body. As the PDE gets blocked, cGMP again gets activated.
This cGMP acts on the softer muscles of blood vessels and dilates them. After dilation the blood flow to the penis increases which is beneficial for your erection as it gets harder.
As long as the blood vessels remain dilated, the blood flow to the penis will remain constant. This is going to help a person out with the issues of erectile dysfunction.
How to Consume PDE5 Inhibitor Medicine?
We will discuss the method of consuming PDE5 inhibitors that everyone should follow. Taking care of all the steps below is going to ensure that the medicine works well in the body with the least side effects –
- There is a fixed way in which the medicine absorbs into the body. That fixed way demands that you consume the medicine as a whole tablet without breaking or chewing. If you do so then medicine will work to its best.
- Take water in a glassful amount with the medicine will help you with easy consumption of the medicine.
- Avoid chewing, grinding, or breaking the medicine into pieces, as this can decrease its effectiveness. It will only lead to decreasing in the working of the medicine.
- If you’re consuming medicine after having your meal, maintain a time gap of at least 1 hour. If you are taking medicine without me then also it’s fine and your choice.
- Whenever you consume food during this medicine consumption phase, try to keep it simple and light.
- The medicine PDE 5 inhibitors need 30 to 60 minutes to start acting in the body. You should consider this time frame according to the kind of medicine you are taking.
- Sexual stimulation is necessary for PDE5 inhibitors to be effective. It will push mod blood to the penis which provides much harder erections.
Side Effects of Consuming PDE 5 Inhibitor
The side effects of PDE5 inhibitors can be diverse and affect various parts of the body. Generally, these side effects are very mild but in a few situations, they turn serious. That is why you should study all of them –
- In more than 10% of patients consuming the medicine, a mild headache occurs. It happens most commonly with nausea.
- Dizziness and drowsiness also occur in the body of the person.
- People taking the medicine will notice a flushing look on their faces. The skin color due to medicine consumption turns pale yellow.
- Congestion in the nasal pathways and sore throat also happen very commonly due to the medicine intake.
- Pain in back muscles is most common. In rare cases, you will notice pain and soreness in your limbs also.
- Swelling of limbs is very common and happens in the body due to the medicine.
- A person will suddenly notice a loss in their hearing due to medicine consumption. It might last for a few hours.
- Blurriness in front of eyes and cloudiness happens sometimes. In this situation, the peripheral vision of the person gets affected.
- In very rare cases, the medicine may cause optic nerve damage, which can be serious.
- The medicine also affects the digestion system of the body. Your stomach might hurt due to the medicine.
- Loss in appetite and vomiting can happen in your body due to the PDE5 inhibitor.
- In serious situations, diarrhea is a kind of condition that happens in the body.
- If women consume the medicine by mistake then fetal growth in their body restricts and it also imbalances the hormones in the body.
PDE 5 Inhibitor Contraindications
All the contradictions related to the medicine have been discussed below in complete detail-
- If you consume the alpha blockers or soluble guanylate cyclase within 24 hours of consumption of the PDE5 inhibitor then your body might suffer from serious side effects. The blood pressure in the body decreases which can turn into a fatal issue.
- The concurrent use of nitrate-based medicines and PDE5 inhibitors can lead to life-threatening situations.
- If the person has a hereditary eye disease then they can not consume PDE 5 inhibitor medicine.
- People who are at cardiovascular risk can not consume the medicine as per the suggestion of the physician. It can lead to heart failure.
Precautions to Take While Consuming PDE5 Inhibitors
When you are consuming the PDE 5 inhibitor medicine then knowing and keeping some facts in mind are very important.
Implementing these precautions can help ensure the medicine works effectively while minimizing side effects.
- Before you start the consumption of this medicine, consulting thoroughly with the physician is compulsory. When you are visiting the physician then you should discuss your medical history, current medications, and your allergies.
- Avoid using substances such as alcohol and marijuana while taking this medication, as they can exacerbate side effects like dizziness and nausea.
- The side effects of blurring of eyes and cloudiness can be very serious. That is why a suggestion to every consumer is that they should not drive or work on any heavy machinery. Because of lower peripheral vision accidents can happen.
- After engaging in sexual activity, it is recommended to rest and avoid any strenuous activities.
- Medicine usage without a prescription for any recreational use can be very dangerous. You should not indulge in any such activity.
- If you have had any heart-related disease in the recent past then consuming the medicine is not safe for you.
- Store the medicine at room temperature in a place where the atmosphere is dry. Additionally, keep the medicine away from direct sunlight.
- Bella AJ, Lue TF. Physiology of penile erection and pathophysiology of erectile dysfunction. Urol Clin North Am. 2005 Nov;32(4):379-95. doi: 10.1016/j.ucl.2005.07.003. PMID: 16291067.
- Kedia GT, Uckert S, Jonas U, Kuczyk M, Burchardt M. Cyclic nucleotide metabolism in pathophysiology and pharmacotherapy of erectile dysfunction. Urol Res. 2003 Aug;31(4):259-64. doi: 10.1007/s00240-003-0337-4. Epub 2003 Jun 27. PMID: 12835954.
- Salloum FN, Abbate A, Das A, Houser JE, Mudrick CA, Qureshi IZ, Hoke NN, Roy SK, Brown WR, Prabhakar S, Kukreja RC. Sildenafil (Viagra) attenuates ischemic cardiomyopathy and improves left ventricular function in mice. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2008 Aug;295(2):H542-50. doi: 10.1152/ajpheart.91576.2007. Epub 2008 Jun 6. PMID: 18539769.
At Medzpills, it is our mission to provide consumers with the best possible, scientifically-backed, and expert-reviewed information. Parry Stone, an expert in the field has reviewed this article, but we caution you that it should not be treated as a substitute for the advice of a qualified medical professional. It is a source of knowledge, potentially helpful in understanding health conditions, lab tests, medications, side effects, drug interactions, warnings, alerts, and more. To ensure the best experience and outcome, we strongly encourage you to consult with your doctor and discuss any concerns or questions you have about a particular disease or medication. Our services are meant to supplement, not replace, the invaluable relationship between doctor and patient.