Malaria is a parasitic disease caused by mosquitos that majorly affect humans and other mammals. Some symptoms, such as fever, headache, weakness, and vomiting, can identify malaria. In severe malarial conditions, symptoms may be jaundice and seizures.
Initially, you will not get any signs of malaria after a mosquito bite, but signs will see after 10-15 days. If such a parasitic disease is not treated correctly, it may reoccur after a few months. Generally, such illness is borne in unhygienic places like stable water bodies for weeks, uncleaned garbage areas, and more.
Artesunate 200 mg tablet, is the proper medication to treat malaria in acute to severe conditions. “Norsunate 200mg” is a registered brand name for Artesunate by Enorm Med Pharma, a reputed pharmaceutical company known globally. Norsunate-200 comes in a pack of 4 tablets.
Each tablet comprises 200 mg of Artesunate as an active pharmaceutical ingredient (API), which helps neutralize the malarial infection and offer relief to the patient. In this blog, you will learn about uses, side effects, working, and other important information about anti-malarial medication, so keep your eyes on it.
Mechanism of action of Artesunate
Artesunate works by inhibiting the parasite’s protein synthesis, leading to the parasite’s death, hence, providing relief to the patient from suffering. The overall process involves the conversion of Artesunate (prodrug) into dihydroartemisinin (active drug) which generates reactive oxygen species (ROS), causing oxidative stress to malarial protein leads to protein damage by the process called alkylation.
Along with that, the active drug is also responsible for inhibiting the glutathione S-transferase enzyme, which reduces the activity of the parasite so that infection can be controlled.
Side effects associated with anti-malarial medication
Artesunate is a potent drug that may produce some side effects based on the quantity of dose and frequency of consumption. The associated side effects with anti-malarial medicine are-
- Pyrexia- a rise in body temperature
- Dizziness and headache
- Ototoxicity- accumulation of the drug in the ear causing the hearing problem and ringing in the ears
- Insomnia– sleeping issues.
- Loss of appetite- hunger disturbance along with loose motion and altered taste.
- Rashes, itching, muscle pain, hair loss, and fatigue.
- Low red blood cells count and leukemia
Storage condition and a way to use
- Artesunate, 200mg tablets, should be stored in a cool and dry place below 30 degrees Celsius.
- It should be protected from direct sunlight because the drug’s shelf life may get altered.
- Store the drug out of the reach of children as it may produce severe side effects in kids.
- Do not break, chew or crush the medicine before consuming it, as the such practice may produce a bitter taste and irritation in the throat.
- Consume the prescribed dose entirely with plenty of water, juice, or milk as per recommendation.
Preventive measures and safety guidelines
- Artesunate is reported to cause fetus damage, so pregnant women should not consume this medication in the first trimester of pregnancy. However, this medication can be used in the second and third trimesters of pregnancy in the doctor’s shadow by following the prescribed dose at the scheduled time.
- Lactating women can take Artesunate 200 mg tablet for the treatment of malaria. Still, they should not breastfeed their baby as some dose of medicine secretes through the milk and can be delivered to the baby, causing the infant to be sick.
- It would help if you did not consume any alcoholic beverages while following the regimen of the anti-malarial drug because alcohol may decrease the activity of the drug, you might not get the accurate result of medication, and your condition may get worsen.
- Suppose you are suffering from leukemia or anemia. In that case, you must consult a doctor before consuming the medicine because anti-malarial drugs are reported to lower the red blood cells count. Consumption of such drugs in anemic conditions leads to a life-threatening conditions and even death.
- You should always follow the prescribed dose per doctor consultation and not consume high doses to get relief faster. Such practice will lead to severe side effects such as anemia, organ dysfunction, blood in urine, and seizures.
- If somehow you missed the dose as per prescription, consume it within 2 hours of the prescribed time; otherwise, inform your doctor regarding missed dose, and they will guide you better.
Interaction of Artesunate 200 mg tablets
- Artesunate, 200mg tablet, consumed with other anti-malarial medications such as tetracycline, primaquine, and mefloquine, shows enhanced anti-malarial results.
- Chloroquine shows an additive effect on consumption with Artesunate.
- Artesunate was reported to hinder the activity of sulfonamides and pyrimethamine. Hence, this combination of drugs should be avoided.
- There is no such evidence on the interaction of anti-malarial drugs with food, but you must follow a diet chart prescribed by a dietician to minimize weakness due to medicine.
How to buy Artesunate 200mg tablets?
There are various online and offline places where you can find artesunate 200 mg tablets, but the most loved and recommended place by thousands of people is Medzpills because-
- It is an online medicine-selling platform that only deals in original, authentic, and high-quality medicine. They deliver the latest manufactured medication as per client demand directly from the manufacturer without involving any third party. Hence, there are no chances of drug adulteration and compromise in the quality of medicine.
- You will find medicine prices are very much lower than other sellers due to various discount offers and coupons available on the website. You can quickly redeem these coupons by following some simple steps and using the coupons on your final medicine bill to get a discount on the final price.
- It is the most-loved and highly-rated website by many customers due to their services. They will deliver your medicine order to your doorsteps in significantly less time and on committed time.
- You will be assisted with 24/7 customer care service. If you have any query about medicine, such as placing an order, uses of medicine, delivery time, or anything else, you can contact them to get an answer.
Frequently asked questions
How does Artesunate 200 mg tablet neutralize the malarial infection?
Artesunate is a prodrug that gets converted into the active dihydroartemisinin, which acts on the plasmodium protein synthesis by the alkylation process through the production of reactive oxygen species. The process is biochemical and complex but results in killing the parasite and controlling the infection.
What precautions should be taken before consuming Artesunate 200 mg tablets?
Artesunate 200 mg is a very potent prodrug that should only be taken to treat malaria.
Please consult a doctor before consuming the medicine, as it may also have severe side effects. The dose should be defined with a prescribed schedule to get the best result in less consumption.
Pregnant and breastfeeding women should consult a physician before consuming the medicine as it may negatively affect the baby, causing deformity of bones, limbs, and other organ failures.
Do not consume any alcoholic or narcotic substance while following the course of anti-malarial medication, as such practice will reduce the effect of medicine, and your health may worsen.
What are the side effects associated with Artesunate 200 mg tablets?
The commonly associated side effects are-
- Pyrexia/ fever
- Dizziness and weakness in the body
- Muscle pain and joint pain
- Anemia (reduction in red blood cells count) and leukemia (reduction in white blood cells count)
- Allergic reactions (rashes, redness on the face, fainting, throat irritation, itching, etc.)
When to stop using anti-malarial medicine?
If you face severe side effects such as blood in urine or stool, severe weakness, and anemic condition, you should immediately stop using anti-malarial medication. Such a scenario may happen due to high doses. Consult a doctor if you face such a problem; they will diagnose you and prescribe a lower dose to treat malaria.
How to recover the missed dose of Artesunate 200 mg tablet?
If you mistakenly missed the dose of medicine, then you can recover the prescribed schedule by taking medicine within 2 hours of the prescribed time. If it is more than 2 hours, you should not take the missed dose and follow the last one on time. Moreover, you should consult your doctor.
- It is highly recommended to consult with your doctor and address any concerns or questions you may have about a specific disease or medication. At Medzpills, we strive to supplement, rather than replace, the essential doctor-patient relationship.