Paxlovid is an anti-viral medicine used to treat the infection caused by COVID-19 or Coronavirus. It stops the virus from spreading in your body and prevents more severe symptoms. It is the combination of two different medicines which are Ritonavir and Nirmatrelvir.
Nirmatrelvir helps stop the virus from growing; on the other hand, Ritonavir helps Nirmatrelvir break down into your body so it can do its job. If you want to get Paxlovid, you need to get a prescription, which is also approved for adults 18 years or older. It is safe and effective for the person to take.
How does Paxlovid medicine work?
Paxlovid has two medicines which contain Nirmatrelvir and Ritonavir. It helps in inhibiting the viral replication of the disease in the early days, which prevents the progression of COVID-19 in the person’s body.
Ritonavir is used with Nirmatrelvir, which helps slow down the metabolism to make the body active for a long time which helps in combating the virus.
How to use the Paxlovid medicine?
Paxlovid is a medicine that consists of two drugs: Nirmatrelvir and Ritonavir. In the package, there will be a total of 5 strips. Each stripe will have two pink tablets of Nirmatrelvir with one white tablet, Ritonavir. You need to take those medicines two times a day.
While taking Paxlovid Medicine, here are a few things that you should consider-
- Do not chew or break the tablet; make sure you swallow it as a whole.
- Never stop taking medication unless your doctor advises you to or you start feeling better.
- The doses of Paxlovid should be taken 8 hours apart; if you have missed a dose, then take it whenever you remember. But make sure there is enough time between the two and do not take both simultaneously.
If you do not feel anything or feel worse after five days, you need to talk with your healthcare provider.
Dosage of Paxlovid
If you are 18+, then it is recommended that you should take 500mg once a day with food or water.
If someone has taken more than that, it is advised, then it is crucial to consult your doctor because that may lead to some severe side effects or overdose.
- Missed dose
If someone has missed the dose or forgot to take Paxlovid, you must take it whenever you remember it. But if it is almost time for your next dose, just skip the one you have missed and continue with your schedule. Never take two doses together just because you have missed one.
Side effects of Paxlovid
- Dry mouth or throat discomfort
- Muscle pain or stiffness
- Abdominal pain
- Serious allergic reactions such as skin rashes, including blistered, swollen, red, itchy, or peeling skin
- Trouble breathing or talking
Preventions & Warning
- Kidney disease– If you are suffering from any Kidney related disease, it is better to consult the doctor before taking the medication.
- Liver disease– You should take advice from your doctor in case you have any liver disease because that may worsen the condition and cause other problems such as jaundice.
- Pregnancy– Do not take Paxlovid if you are pregnant. If you take medicine during pregnancy, it will have effects on the baby. So tell your doctor about that, and they will offer you some treatment that will be suitable for your pregnancy.
- Breastfeeding– It is advised by the manufacturer not to take medicine while breastfeeding. You need specialist advice in this case.
- Alcohol– Taking the medicine when pregnant may increase the side effects, such as dizziness. So it is recommended to avoid consuming alcohol when you are on treatment.
Paxlovid is a medicine that may interact with other drugs; that is why you must inform your doctor about the medicines you are taking. Not just drugs but food and disease can interact with this medication-
- Food interactions– Paxlovid does interact with alcohol which you may consume. It may not mix well and cause a problem for you.
- Medicine interactions – Some medicine does not interact with the Paxlovid, which include amphetamines (such as dexamfetamine or methylphenidate), painkillers (such as fentanyl, methadone, pethidine, morphine, buprenorphine) medicine for irregular heartbeats or other heart condition (such as amiodarone, ranolazine, flecainide, digoxin), cancer treatment (such as apalutamide, ceritinib, vinblastine, fostamatinib, etc.), allergy medicine such as (loratadine or fexofenadine), medicine for asthma or lung problems, medicine for high blood pressure and so on.
- Disease Interactions– Paxlovid interacts with heart problems, high blood pressure, breathing problem, and liver or kidney problem.
How to store the medicine?
- One can store Paxlovid at room temperature, which ranges from 68- degrees F to 77 degrees F (20 degrees C to 25-degree C).
- Make sure you are keeping the table away from children and pets.
- Keep the tablet in the dark or dry place.
Paxlovid comes in packaging of 5, which is the course of 5 days. In each package or box, there will be five strips. Each strip will have two doses. One dose includes two tablets of Nirmatrelvir and one tablet of Ritonavir.
The person needs to take this dose at one time, and one strip has two doses you must consume in one day. You need to complete the 5-day course and once you do that you need to go to the doctor and consult your condition with them. They will be there to help you and give you the best advice.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who should use the medicine?
People who have tested positive for COVID-19 but has not been hospitalized yet and are also at risk of developing severe symptom of COVID-19 can take medicine. They should also ensure that the age of the person is more than 12 or older. They should go to the doctor and get proper advice before taking it.
Is the medicine entirely safe for use?
Yes, it is entirely safe for the person to use Paxlovid. However, there are a few conditions when a person has to consider things; otherwise, it may cause some side effects. The people who should not use Paxlovid are- pregnant women, breastfeeding, the person who consume alcohol, etc.
Can you stop the medicine use whenever you wish to?
No, you cannot stop using the medicine until you are okay. It is crucial to consult with the doctor first because they will be the ones who check everything and will tell you to stop taking medicine.
What are the benefits of using the medicine?
Taking Paxlovid can be pretty beneficial for the person as it will help stop the growth and spread of the COVID-19 virus. It will reduce the risk of hospitalization and death.
Where to buy the medicine from?
To purchase Paxlovid, you must look for the reputed platform, Medzpills. The reason why you should buy from here-
- Medzpills will ensure you get high-quality medicine from Zenara Pharma, the original manufacturer, so you can get the best results.
- It will provide you with the medicine at a reasonable price, and you may also get regular discounts.
- Medzpills also has customer support, which will help you whenever you want to make a new purchase.
- We have also Ivermectin, Ziverdo kit and Azithromycin
- Medzpills aims to provide consumers with reliable, trustworthy, and expert-reviewed information. This article has been reviewed qualified physician, an expert in the field. However, it is important to note that the information presented should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a qualified medical professional. The information provided serves only as a source of knowledge and may not cover all aspects of health conditions, lab tests, medications, potential side effects, drug interactions, warnings, alerts, and more. It is highly recommended to consult with your doctor and address any concerns or questions you may have about a specific disease or medication. At Medzpills, we strive to supplement, rather than replace, the essential doctor-patient relationship.